By Leong Sze Lee,Poh Seng Chen
Chen Poh Seng's nice grandfather lived in Pulau Tekong, his 50-over cousins have been born and knowledgeable there. He lived in Changi element that's half-hour away by way of ferry.
Lee Leong Sze is a Malaysian, graduated from the dept of historical past, nationwide Chong Hsing collage, Taiwan, received PhD in Singapore. researchers met in August 2005. They shared an identical curiosity in learning the historical past of Pulau Tekong. in the course of the learn, that they had complete aid and encouragement from former residents.
The ebook describes how Pulau Tekong Island built through the early twentieth century. It describes the place the ethnic teams got here from, how they settled down, labored and lived jointly, and the connection between diversified ethnic teams, just like the Malay and chinese language (including Hakka and Chouchouese) through the years. eventually, the booklet reveals out how and why the villages vanished. the ultimate bankruptcy outlines the phenomenal electorate from Pulau Tekong and stories how they merged with the most movement of Singapore society after leaving the offshore island.
- From Desolation to Prosperity:
- Development of Villages
- Life in Villages
- Composition and dating of Ethnic Groups:
- Ethnic constitution on Tekong Island
- Relationship among chinese language and Malays
- Ethnic courting inside Chinese
- The influence of worldwide battle II:
- Influence of worldwide struggle II on Tekong Island
- Tekong Island less than British executive and Self-Governance
- The Sixties: A interval of Change
- The improvement of Tekong Island:
- Tekong Island lower than Singapore's Development
- The Disappearance of Villages on Tekong Island
- The Achievements of Former citizens of Tekong Island
Readership: pupil, expert, normal public.
Read Online or Download A Retrospect on the Dust-Laden History:The Past and Present of Tekong Island in Singapore PDF
Similar asian history books
Imperialism in Southeast Asia examines its topic opposed to a backdrop of these international locations which could at a given time be referred to as imperialist: Britain, France, Spain, the Netherlands and the united states. interpreting the imperialist phenomenon from this wide-ranging point of view unearths imperialism as pushed by means of contention; it additionally enables comparability: imperialism has parts in universal, but differs based on the territory within which it operates.
The early Salvation military professed its dedication to sexual equality in ministry and management. in truth, its founding structure proclaimed girls had the proper to evangelise and carry any workplace within the association. yet did they? ladies in God’s military is the 1st research of its variety dedicated to the severe research of this vital declare.
A wealthy selection of basic fabrics, the multivolume documents of Empire offers a documentary heritage of nineteenth-century British imperialism from the Indian subcontinent to the Suez Canal to southernmost Africa. Barbara Harlow and Mia Carter have conscientiously chosen a various variety of texts that music the debates over imperialism within the ranks of the army, the corridors of political energy, the lobbies of missionary companies, the halls of royal geographic and ethnographic societies, the boardrooms of buying and selling businesses, the editorial places of work of significant newspapers, and far-flung components of the empire itself.
First released in 1969. includes a few of Joseph Needham's most vital essays, lectures and publicizes at the background of chinese language technological know-how, know-how and tradition. additionally integrated are a few extra own options influenced by means of his personal travels and reports in China, together with a few poems. The publication discusses the precious social and highbrow affects that have flowed to Europe from South in addition to East Asia, and means that the occasions of the 20 th century have been a ordinary improvement of chinese language background, now not a deviation from it.
- Music, Cosmology, and the Politics of Harmony in Early China (SUNY series in Chinese Philosophy and Culture)
- Bankers and Diplomats in China 1917-1925: The Anglo-American Experience
- Kwaidan Of The Lady: Samurai Tales of the Tokugawa (Kegan Paul Japan Library)
- Cathay and the Way Thither, Being a Collection of Medieval Notices of China: Volume I: 1 (Hakluyt Society, First Series)
Additional resources for A Retrospect on the Dust-Laden History:The Past and Present of Tekong Island in Singapore
A Retrospect on the Dust-Laden History:The Past and Present of Tekong Island in Singapore by Leong Sze Lee,Poh Seng Chen